July 4th Selective Enforcement
During the 2009 4th of July weekend, the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office (DCSO) conducted Selective Traffic and DUI Enforcement at various locations. This was an effort to improve safety and decrease the number of impaired drivers on the streets of Douglas County. This effort was sponsored through a $6,200.00 grant provided by the Nebraska Office of Highway Safety.
During the selective enforcement effort, over a three day period, the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office compiled the below listed statistics:
- 51 Traffic Stops were conducted
- 11 traffic citations were issued
- 10 misdemeanor arrests
- 2 misdemeanor warrant arrests
- 5 Driving Under the Influence (DUI) arrests
- 2 Minor in Possession of Alcohol (MIP) arrests
- 1 Drug arrest
- 1 Driving Under Suspension arrest
- 2 Careless Driving citations
- 1 Willful Reckless Driving citation
- 1 No Proof of Insurance citation
- 32 written / verbal warning citations were issued
- 1 vehicle impounded
Our selective enforcement goal was to use saturated patrol to seek out suspected drunk drivers and traffic violators. We feel that our efforts were successful. Therefore, the selective enforcement effort created safer streets for the citizens of Douglas County during the holiday weekend.
The Douglas County Sheriff’s Office strongly encourages the citizens of Douglas County to drive safely and utilize safety belts and child safety seats, as they are proven to save lives. The DCSO has zero tolerance for drunk driving.
PLEASE DRIVE SAFELY!
SAFETY BELTS and CHILD SAFETY SEATS SAVE LIVES, SO PLEASE BUCKLE UP!