"Click-It-or-Ticket" May 2010
The Douglas County Sheriff’s Office will again participate in the “Click It or Ticket” selective enforcement campaign in 2010. The enforcement focuses on safety belt and child safety seat violations and will run from 25 May 2010 through 06 June 2010. The mode of operation will be selective traffic enforcement in locations determined to be high traffic accident areas. This enforcement is funded through a $17,000.00 Nebraska Office of Highway Safety grant.
Statistics prove that safety belts and child safety seats save lives (statistics provided by the Nebraska Office of Highway Safety):
- Safety belts cut the risk of death or serious injury in a crash by 45 to 50 percent
- In 2009, 135 (71%) of the 190 fatality injured passenger vehicle occupants were not wearing safety belts
- In 2009, 1,628 Nebraska drivers were convicted for not using child restraints*
- In 2009, 10,118 Nebraska drivers were convicted of a safety belt violation*
- Motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death for people between the ages of 5 and 34
- Motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death for children of every age from 3 to 14 years old
*These figures do not include the nearly 30,000 drivers that took the “Stop” class to have their violation dismissed that also included child restraint and safety belt violations.
Our goals with this selective enforcement are to gain awareness of the importance of using safety belts and child safety seats and to reduce the number of fatalities on Nebraska roads.
Furthermore, the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office announces that citizens of Douglas County may have their Child Safety Seats inspected at the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office located at 3601 N. 156th Street. These inspections are by appointment only and may be scheduled by leaving a message for Deputy Joseph Martinec Jr. at 444-6641 from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. This service is being provided free of charge in hopes that all children can be transported safely and to save lives.
BUCKLE UP AND STAY SAFE!