The Douglas County Sheriff’s Office will participate in the “Click It or Ticket” selective enforcement campaign in 2011. The enforcement focuses on safety belt and child safety seat violations and will run from November 21-27, 2011. The mode of operation will be selective traffic enforcement in various locations determined to be high traffic accident areas. This enforcement is funded through a Nebraska Office of Highway Safety mini-grant.
Statistics prove that safety belts and child safety seats save lives:
- Safety belts cut the risk of death or serious injury in a crash by 45 to 50 percent
- Motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death for people between the ages of 5 and 34
- In 2010, 68% of fatality injured vehicle occupants were not wearing safety belts
- In 2010, 1,520 Nebraska drivers were convicted for not using child restraints*
- In 2010, the observed safety belt use for drivers and passengers was 84% (1% less than the 2010 national average according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration)
Statistics provided by the Nebraska Office of Highway Safety
*This figure does not include drivers that took the “Stop” class to have their violation dismissed
Our goals with this selective enforcement are for motorists to gain awareness of the importance of using safety belts and child safety seats, and to reduce the number of fatalities on Nebraska roads.
BUCKLE UP AND STAY SAFE!