"You Drink & Drive. You Lose" December 2011
During December 2011, the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office will be involved in the statewide “You Drink & Drive. You Lose” Selective DUI Enforcement crackdown. This is a coordinated effort of law enforcement agencies across the region to decrease the number of impaired drivers in our communities. This selective enforcement is subsidized through a $15,000.00 Nebraska Office of Highway Safety grant.
Several Nebraska Alcohol-Related Statistics:
- In 2010, there were 1,687 alcohol-related vehicle crashes.
- In 2010, of the 1,687 alcohol-related crashes, there were 790 personal injury crashes.
- In 2010, there were 166 fatal vehicles crashes, resulting in 190 deaths. Of those 166 fatal crashes, 46 (28%) were alcohol-related and resulted in 53 deaths.
- In 2010, 12,399 individuals were arrested for DUI.
- In 2010, there were 10,724 DUI convictions in Nebraska, a conviction rate of 86.5%.
Statistics above provided by the Nebraska Department of Highway Safety
Our goal with this selective enforcement is to use additional deputies and saturation patrols to seek out suspected alcohol impaired drivers and arrest them; thus, creating safer streets for the citizens of Douglas County.
Celebrate responsibly and remember “If You Drink & Drive, You Lose!”