RELEASE DATE: 18 May 2009
The Douglas County Sheriff’s Office will be participating in the “Click It or Ticket” selective enforcement again in 2009. The selective focuses on safety belt and child safety seat violations and will run from 18May09 through 31May09. The mode of enforcement will be saturated patrol within a two-mile radius of intersections prone to higher numbers of accidents.
The statistics prove that safety belts and child safety seats save lives:
- 114(63%) of the 182 fatality injured passenger vehicle occupants were not wearing safety belts
- Nearly 2,000 Nebraska drivers were convicted for not using child restraints*
- Over 9,000 Nebraska drivers were convicted of a safety belt violation*
- Motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death for people between the ages of 5 and 34
- One out of every 23 licensed drivers in Nebraska will be involved in a motor vehicle accident this year
*This figure does not include the nearly 40,000 drivers that took the “Stop” class to have their charge dismissed.
**Note: Safety facts were provided by the Nebraska Office of Highway Safety.
Our goals with this selective enforcement are to gain awareness of the importance of using safety belts and child safety seats and to reduce the number of fatalities on Nebraska roads.
Also, the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office is announcing that the citizens of Douglas County are able to have their Child Safety Seats inspected at the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office located at 3601 N. 156th Street.
These inspections can by scheduled by appointment only by contacting Deputy Cindy Christiansen at 444-6173. This service is being provided free of charge in hopes that all children can be transported safely and to save lives.